Long Lake Rowing Crew (LLRC) rowed away with 14 medals and a 2nd place overall finish at the 114th North West International Rowing Association (NWIRA) Regatta, which took place on Aug. 11 and 12 at Lake Elmo. The NWIRA is a regional association of Canadian and American rowing clubs of the Upper Mid-Western United States and Western Canada.
Fifteen clubs participated from both the US and Canada in the two-day regatta.
LLRC had 63 rowers involved in the regatta; 43 juniors, 16 master and four open, who competed in 53 events.
“We are extremely proud of all of our athletes. As a newer club in only our fourth season, we needed to really focus our efforts this year on recruiting and developing a great base of athletes. This included adults, as Long Lake has never had adults compete at this regatta,” LLRC head coach Sandi McCarthy said. Every athlete mattered as the ability to win races at regattas is really won at practice where they push each other on a daily basis. As a majority of our athletes are new, but have now completed one season of summer racing, my hope is that grabbing a second place team finish has given them confidence to continue to make progress. Their hard work paid off and we were able to grab some hardware in the process; Five Golds, seven Silvers and two Bronze.”
• Junior B Men’s Quad – Drew Mitchellette and Andy Berrell, Orono High School; Gavin Mueller and Sean Donlin, Wayzata High School
• Open Women’s Single – Emily Stinebaugh, LLRC Alum and member of Notre Dame Women’s Rowing Team
• Junior Men’s Double – Ryan Rudow, LLRC Alum; Drew Mitchellette (OHS)
• Men’s Open Single – George Esau, LLRC Alum and member of University of Washington Men’s Rowing
• Men’s Open Single Dash – George Esau, LLRC Alum and member of University of Washington Men’s Rowing
• Junior Men’s Quad – Ryan Rudow, LLRC Alum; Ben Esselman, WHS; Peter Sherek and Jack Marquis, Orono High School
• Open Women’s Pair – LLRC Alums Emily Stinebaugh (Notre Dame) and Olivia Zoner (University of Minnesota Women’s Rowing)
• Master Men’s Single Under 50 – Mark Gaalswyk
• Junior B Women’s Quad – Anna-Maya Sipila (OHS); Margaux Bomsta, Ella Harris and Tallulah Letscher, Wayzata High School.
• Open Women’s Single Dash – Emily Stinebaugh (Notre Dame)
• Lightweight Women’s Double – Reinnen Pfleider and Ella Ross, Wayzata High School)
• Junior B Women’s Double – Margaux Bomsta and Ella Harris, Wayzata High School.
• Junior Women’s Eight – Reinnen Pfleider and Margaux Bomsta (WHS); Ava Winkels (OHS); Alison Westberg, Natalie Steine (WHS); Heidi Luedeman and Anna-Maya Sipila (OHS); Inga Smith (Mound Westonka High School); and Tallulah Letscher, (WHS)
• Junior Women’s Quad – Natalie Steine and Alison Westberg (WHS); and Jenny Haus and Ava Winkels (OHS)
LLRC youth rowers represent several area high schools, including Wayzata, Orono, Mound-Westonka, Blake, Breck, Chanhassen and Benilde St. Margaret’s.
Next, the team travels to Des Moines, Iowa for the Head of the Des Moines on September 30. This continues the season of eight regattas on the team’s schedule for the summer and fall 2017 season.
For more information about LLRC, visit www.longlakerowing.org.