It was a great day for swimming. Outside it was cold, wet and windy. As the football players ran around in the rain, the swimmers had fun indoors swimming in the pool.
The team traveled to Mound High School for 2017 Tim Daily Invitational meet. The “Mound” Invitational was renamed this year in honor of the home team’s coach who passed away on Christmas Eve after a long battle with cancer.
Tim Daily was a long-time coach in the Twin Cities and was loved by many swimmers and parents. OGS&D raised money for a donation to the Tim Daily Beat Cancer Fund.
Ben Hanson will be coaching the Mound Westonka swim team throughout the 2017 season. Hanson coached with Tim Daily at a prior swim club.
The four teams were at the meet were Mound Westonka Holy Family, Big Lake High School, Delano High School and Orono High School.
This event was swimming only. There was no diving at the invitational, as not all the teams have a diving squad.
Delano fielded a strong team, that came away and won the meet, along with setting three pool records. The Orono swimmers placed second overall.
Highlights of the meet included:
• 100-Yard Breaststroke – Two seventh graders, Tessa Cordes and Hailey Ball finished third and fifth respectively. They topped this by both achieving letter times in their first meet.
• Megan Fritz – She finished fifth in the 200-Yard Freestyle and third in the 500-Yard Freestyle. She achieved her meet goal of swimming a completing the 500-Yard Freestyle in less than six minutes.
• Margaret Kraus – Finished third in the 100-Yard Backstroke.
• Ellie Thompson – Finished fourth in the 200-Yard Individual Medley and Third in the 100-Yard Butterfly.
• 200-Yard Medley Relay – The Orono A and B teams finished third and fouth respectively. The A relay team was made up of Sammy Ball, Caroline Gardner, Ellie Thompson and Sally Richardson; and the B team was Margaret Kraus, Hailey Ball, Sydney Govrik and Jenna Lulling.